Physiotherapy clinical practice guidelines for people with spinal cord injury (QLD component)
Collaboration partner: Metro South Health
Commenced: 8 March 2021
Key personnel: Emilie Gollan (Queensland Project Lead) and Brooke Wadsworth (Queensland delegate), Physiotherapists at Metro South Health.
The project aim is to improve the care of people with spinal cord injuries by standardising physiotherapy management of people with spinal cord injuries.
- Develop clinical practice guidelines for physiotherapists and people with spinal cord injury across Australia.
- Translate the clinical practice guidelines into physiotherapy clinical practice across Queensland.
To develop the guidelines, the Queensland team is working with Professor Lisa Harvey (Project Lead) and Associate Professor Joanne Glinsky (Project Coordinator) in NSW, icare (Insurance and Care NSW) and other inter-state representatives, Queensland clinicians, and people with spinal cord injury.
The Queensland team will lead the guideline translation across Queensland.
The NIISQ Agency considers the project will produce real benefits for NIISQ participants and the Scheme including:
- Facilitation of evidence-based intervention and improved health outcomes for NIISQ participants
- Building provider capability and capacity across Queensland in managing people with spinal cord injury
- Facilitating NIISQ participants’ health literacy and empowering participants to make informed treatment choices through the creation of the consumer companion to the guideline
The Agency has contributed $75,325 to the project, which is anticipated to be completed by mid-2022.