Work related accidents
If you sustain a work-related serious personal injury on or after 1 July 2016, that was not due to a motor vehicle accident, you may be eligible to receive necessary and reasonable lifetime treatment, care and support under the Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003.
WorkCover Queensland has provided workers’ compensation insurance in Queensland since 1997 and has recognised NIISQ Agency as a centre for excellence in supporting people with serious personal injuries.
We work with WorkCover Queensland and other workers’ compensation insurers to facilitate:
- A close partnership with the worker and their family, and medical and allied health professionals, to facilitate independent living and a successful rehabilitation and durable return-to-work outcome where possible
- Awareness for potential eligibility with social workers and/or hospital personnel to ensure eligible workers are referred as early as possible
- Support for workers and their families through any referral process to the NIISQ Agency
- Identification and/or coordination of any return-to-work opportunities that deliver realistic and sustainable return-to-work outcomes for the participant, and
- Maintaining the relationship with WorkCover Queensland and other workers’ compensation insurers around involvement with the pre-injury employer where appropriate.
Workers’ compensation entitlements
Your workers’ compensation insurer will make all eligibility decisions about your injury and work-related accident under the Workers Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003.
Treatment, care and support services
Queensland workers’ compensation insurers have engaged the NIISQ Agency to manage eligible workers’ treatment, care and support.
You will be assigned a NIISQ Agency Support Planner who will be your primary contact at the NIISQ Agency. They will work with you and your treating team to help you access the necessary and reasonable treatment, care and support services you require due to your eligible injury.
Your NIISQ Agency Support Planner will work with you and your service providers to develop your own support plan. This will be tailored to your goals and injury related needs and will take into consideration your unique and personal circumstances.
Your NIISQ Agency Support Planner will meet with you regularly and help you to review your support plan and identify any new goals and supports you need.
For more information, visit www.worksafe.qld.gov.au.
Last updated: July 2022